The work/life balance can get out of hand quickly, sometimes without you even realising it. Don’t despair though, there are ways and steps to take that can get you on an even keel again!
Remember, one step at a time – you’ll be going in the right direction and the results will begin to show.
Here’s some tips and ideas on how to get back on your feet. Ask yourself these questions:
1. What really matters to you? If you had to concentrate on one thing in your life, what would that be? Add a second, third, fourth and fifth.
If you answer honestly you will have a list of your top five priorities.
2. Are you simply doing too much? There are only a certain number of hours in the productive day. Remembering your priorities, could you discontinue activities that don’t support your priorities? Don’t let the TV keep you away from the children, the dust will still be there tomorrow etc. Time management is the key to coping.
3. Your private time is sacred – guard it with your life. Refrain from having your mobile phone on after hours, don’t check the emails constantly and think they have to answered at once. Take a step back and really look at the time you have for yourself.
4. Sometimes you can’t do it alone. Enlist the help of friends and family to take the kids out for the day or hire someone once a month to clean your home. The stress this releases should not be underestimated. Can you do the grocery shopping online? Set up processes that make your life easier for you!
5. Schedule time to relax. Routine is king! Get the kids off to bed at the same time every night. Have your shower the same time every day. Write a list of what needs to be done for the following day before you go to bed.
Remember you are in charge of your own schedule, make it happen!
The Laws of Simplicity (Click on the image for more detail)
The Small Business Support Line provides a point of contact to access information and referral services that assist small businesses. The Support Line will be able to provide information, assistance or referral on a range of small business issues.
Beyond Blue 1300 22 46 36
Our mission is to provide a national focus and community leadership to increase the capacity of the broader Australian community to prevent depression and respond effectively. We aim to build a society that understands and responds to the personal and social impact of depression, works actively to prevent it, and improves the quality of life for everyone affected.
Mental health at work is an international organisation aimed at improving the wellbeing and productivity of people and workplaces. By partnering with business, we mentor workplaces to create mentally healthy, resilient and supportive workplaces through an innovative range of educational tools and services.
Anxiety Online is a comprehensive online mental health service offering information, assessment, online diagnosis and treatment programs (“eTherapy”) for a selection anxiety disorders.