I keep my homemade disinfectant wipes on the kitchen bench because I seem to use them mostly in the kitchen.
There are 2 recipes here – one using paper towels and the one I use with face washers. I use white face washers for my kitchen cloths and for all my wipes, that way they can be all washed together and bleached if need be. I found my white washers online in bulk at http://www.aliexpress.com/ I bought 50 so I would have plenty! I usually use one a day for a general washcloth for dishes throughout the day and then I probably use about 2 – 3 a day throughout the rest of the house. My container holds about 30 wipes and lasts me about a week – then I simply replenish the jar with a fresh batch.
I wash all the wipes once a week. So I have a bucket in the laundry with ½ cup of oxiclean in it that I throw them in at the end of each day – they soak in there until I wash them and that seems to take care of any stubborn stains. Remember the cloths themselves are full of antibacterial essential oils.
You can use Dettol in place of the vinegar too!
- 1 recycled baby wipes container or a jar with lid
- 1/4 cup white vinegar or dettol
- tea tree essential oil
- lavender essential oil
- 1 tbls castille soap (You can find it here)
- face washers
- 1 cup water
- Put the cloths into the wipes container or jar
- Mix about a cup of water, a tablespoon of castille soap, 1/4 cup of vinegar, and 3-4 drops tea tree oil and 3-4 drops lavender
- Pour liquid mixture over the face cloths and make sure all the cloths are soaked
- Simply pull out a cloth when needed – I don’t need to wring mine out but that can take a bit of practice with the amount of fluid you use over the cloths you have
If you’re using paper towels then follow these simple steps.
Take a roll of Viva paper towels or equal quality paper towels and cut the roll in half, using a knife.
Place half of the roll of paper towels in an airtight container.
In a separate bowl, combine
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar or dettol
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Fairy dishwashing liquid
- 3 -4 drops tea tree essential oil
- 3 – 4 drops lavender essential oil
Simply pour this mixture over the 1/2 roll of paper towels in the container, seal up the container and flip it upside down until the paper towels are fully saturated.
Once they are fully saturated, you can then easily remove the cardboard roll from the centre of the paper towels.
These are so cheap and easy to make and are wonderful for that quick wipe-down. I couldn’t live without them now!