We all need to get away at some time and have a short break or a holiday, but it can really put a dent in the budget. To get the best value out of your recreation or school holiday break we’ve made it simple by providing links and ideas for cheaper or free ways to enjoy yourself.
A great way to save up to 50% off accommodation costs within Australia and some overseas destinations is to visit these websites. Sometimes the hotel you choose might have even better deals if you ring and enquire before you book!
They all provide information on the hotels services and facilities and provide excellent rates and last minute specials.
TIP: Always ‘Google’ any Theme Parks or Attractions you want to visit for recreation to see if they have any deals that could save you money.
House swapping – House swapping is fast becoming the chosen way to holiday as it’s FUN and it’s FREE. You could save thousands of dollars for every week away, and you get to live with the locals, in a real home – with all the comfort and convenience that brings. Try Aussie House Swap or do you want to holiday in some of Australia and New Zealand’s best travel destinations with absolutely no accomodation cost? Try House Swap Holidays
Camping is a fun option for recreation for families and can save you tons of money. In fact it’s probably much more fun for the kids to go camping rather than staying in a hotel room. They can explore their surroundings, make new friends, run around, go spot lighting and not have to worry about getting things grubby!
Camping in Australia
With the abundance of camping grounds and campsites in this huge country, finding them just got a whole lot easier. Locate your destination area on the map or in the search bar and you’re on your way to finding that perfect recreation camping spot. Find Free Camping Find areas in Australia that allow free camping on public land.
Plan your next recreation adventure with Turu.com.au – Australia’s premier holiday accommodation booking site. With over 2,000 holiday parks to choose from, Turu.com.au showcases Australia’s top destinations – from caravan park getaways to the ultimate outdoor camping spots.
Below are some links to government and private organisations that offer free activities or provide other ideas:
- School holiday directory – school holiday activities around AUS
New South Wales
- Visit NSW– school holiday activities for NSW
- School holiday information and ideas in the Sunshine State
- Myfun.com.au – the box office for Australia’s favourite theme parks
- School holidays in the Garden State
- Holiday activities – a range of activities you might consider over the school holiday period.
- Holidaying with kids – place to stay, things to do
Looking for something to do on the weekend? Here’s a list of over 30 ideas.
- Go to the Park or Reserve – check your local council website for ideas
- Watch the Sunset with snacks – nice on the beach
- Bake bread – fun for the kids and lovely to eat
- Pack a Picnic Lunch and discover a new place – a Sunday drive
- Play Board Games – the kids will love this or try backgammon with your partner
- Take photos – take the kids to somewhere different and let them be the photographer for the day
- Play Card Games – snap for the littlies or teach them one to play for life
- Check out your council website for community ideas
- Do a Road trip With Friends – get another couple with kids to go for a drive to somewhere special
- Go for a bush walk – maybe a waterfall at the end will impress the kids
- Throw a Bring Your Own Everything to Share Party – a nice way to catch up with friends
- Have a Bonfire or Campfire in Your Backyard – don’t forget the marshmallows
- Walk to the local shops and Get Ice Cream – great to take the kids on a neighbourhood walk
- Make a Romantic Dinner at home – candlelight and a nice meal, just the two of you
- Go to the Museum or Zoo – make a day of it and let the kids lead you to what they are interested in
- Scan Your Old Photographs – once they’re done, they’re done and you can share them with family and friends
- Go to your local Farmers Market – pick up some great value produce and make a nice lunch
- Bake a Pie – this is good to do with the kids and they get to eat it later
- Go Fishing – a few hours spent fishing will impress the kids, if they catch something!
- Go to the Beach – a walk along the beach or just a run for the kids is great
- Go to the Library – there’s a lot going at modern libraries these days
- Host a Classic Movie Marathon – watch a few old movies on a rainy weekend
- Write Out Your Bucket List and Pick One to Do – perfect for goal setting
- Put Together a Jigsaw Puzzle – set out the jigsaw on a table where it can stay for days until its completed
- Volunteer to Babysit for Someone Who “Needs a Break” – Your kids will have someone to play with
- Clean Out Your Closet and Donate to a Thrift Store – clutter clearing feels good
- Go on a Bike Ride – this is just plain fun for all the family
- Write Out Your Life Plan – planning for the future will give you something to look forward to
- Help Someone in Need – does someone you know need some gardening done or a meal given to them?
- Go Bowling – the kids will enjoy this and they’ll love spending time with you too
- Visit Garage Sales and Look for Deals – maybe you’ll find something to do up
- Write a Letter to a Family Member You Haven’t Talked to in a While – how nice to receive a hand written letter