Self-care has become an increasingly popular term for the things we do to ensure our personal wellbeing. People apply it to mental health, to friendship support, and many other areas of life, but often skip using it with their financial self care. Why?
I’m proud to say I’m financially stable, and relatively well, today. But this was not always the case. When I look back over my financial history, I realise that a lot of the mistakes that I made revolved around failing to take care of myself.
I avoided creditor calls, I hid bills, I borrowed constantly without a thought of paying back. I was stressed out, I didn’t see the way out, and honestly I felt desperate when I would try to sleep at night. You know what? I wasn’t alone then, and you aren’t alone now if that’s how you’re feeling. Too many people haven’t taken care of themselves in a way that can give peace of mind.
The good news? I changed my financial position, and so can you! By putting a few simple financial steps into operation, you can start taking care of your financial self in a way that will see your financial house in order. This may take time, it will definitely take effort, but believe me it’s worth it!
Steps to financial self-care
- Make a list of all outstanding debts
- Prioritise the debts, based on interest rates and due dates.
- Automate bill payments so they don’t take over your life, this will also involve knowing when they’re due so you can prepare.
- Even if it’s a few dollars a day, start the habit now.
- Cut expenses wherever possible.
- Be honest with yourself about where you are and what you need to do to get out of it. For me, that meant taking on extra work, for others it may mean trimming expenses, but honesty is the key.
- Review, review, review to see how your plan is working and if there are improvements that can be made.
Rome wasn’t built in a day, and no solid financial house is either, but you have the power to become debt free and to start taking better care of yourself. Your bills will come into good standing. Your creditors will stop calling. You can fix this with a lot of dedication and planning!
There is truly nothing more rewarding than digging yourself out of a financial pit just by taking better care of yourself. You’ll sleep better, you’ll feel better, you’ll be better off. Try it today!
- Debt free, Here’s how, starting in 2020
- What if I lose my job?
- Financial Stress
- Keeping Emotions Out of Your Purse
- Ditching the Debt and Maintaining Debt Freedom!
- Do You Want To Get Back After a Dance with Debt?
- The 50-20-30 Rule
- Change Your Finances in 30 Days -The 30 Day Rule
- Live smart, live savvy!
- Ditching the Debt
- Instagram Favourites
- 10 Keys to Financial Success
- It’s Possible to Improve your Savings
- Bad Financial Patterns You Can Break
- What do you actually have to spend per day?
- A good friend, for your finances
- Financial Stress
- 21 Instant Money Saving Ideas
- Teaching Kids Firm Financial Footing
- So you think you have nothing left to save? Not true – here’s where it is.