Maintenance can save you money in the long run and it’s no exception in the garage. The garage door gets a lot of usage, especially if it is an automatically opening one. There are things you can do to maintain a safe and well working garage door.
- Firstly take a look at the workings of the door and give it all a good wipe down, vacuum or rub to free up any dust and grime that might have accumulated within the workings. The hinges, rollers and tracks and latches can all be sprayed with WD-40 for lubrication.
- You can then wipe any excess WD-40 off and respray to really make sure it has penetrated. Wipe clean again.
- If you find any of the rollers or hinges are sticking, try to clean them with kerosene. Using a small brush (an old toothbrush works great) work the kerosene into the nooks and crannies and then remove any visible rust with steel wool. Clean all the parts and apply lubricant.
- If your garage door opener is operated by a chain or drive screw, apply the same lubricant to the full length.
- Check the weather stripping that might be along the sides of the door and replace if needed.