Cleaning your clothes is a necessary household chore, but it can also be a costly one if you’re not careful. By keeping in mind these energy efficient tips for doing your laundry effectively, you can save hundreds of dollars a year.
Energy saving tips for the washing machine
- Air some clothes instead of washing them, to save money on washing.
- Always mind your washing machine’s energy rating, and make sure that when you look to replace the existing machine it’s as efficient as possible.
- Only wash full loads – Don’t put a half load through, it only wastes energy. Wash a full load at a time to reduce the amount of time you spend doing laundry, and the energy costs throughout the year.
- Unplug the washing machine when you aren’t using it. If it’s still turned on in any way, it will be using standby energy, wasting your money.
Energy saving tips for the dryer
- Change the lint filter in the dryer regularly to ensure that it’s operating at ultimate efficiency
- Don’t use a dryer whenever you can avoid it, hang the clothes up to air dry instead as a free alternative.
- Only dry the clothes that need to be dried
- Use the washing machine spin cycle to dry as much as possible before even needing to use the dryer
Energy saving tips for the washer dryer
- Don’t waste drying time
- Maintain the machine as best as possible to keep it living as long as possible
- Only run full loads
- Use the spin cycle
These tips go a long way to saving energy in your washer and dryer, and saving you money while washing your clothes.